Wonders of the World Showcased at Homecoming Parade

Despite the chilly October night, a group of about 100 gathered to cheer on their friends, residential quads, clubs and organizations at the 2008 Wolfstock Homecoming Parade on Friday.

The parade took place in the Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium parking lot as part of a weekend of pre-game festivities.

The parade showcased floats with different takes on the concept “Wonders of the World,” the theme of the Homecoming and Reunion Weekend.

According to Elana Lancaster, a student, the parade was a way to “build school spirit, pump up people for the game, showcase the work of each quad and club. It’s fun to be a part of, to get really excited about our school.”

Freshman Diandra Ramsuchit agreed, “Even though a small portion of the student body showed up, you can still feel the school spirit,” she said.

Each residential college had representatives walk through the parade with their own painted banners, while Wolfie, the university mascot, explored the world in various ways — one banner showed Wolfie with the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Wolfie himself made his way through the crowd clad in his red jersey, cheering as he sat in a bright yellow convertible that was followed by university athletes.

Each float displayed the imagination of the creators, with Tabler quad showing off its own Aladdin, Jasmine and genie in its take on Arabian Nights.

Mendelsohn quad’s float worked around the theme “The Wonders Of The World Wide Web,” showcasing advents of technology, using examples like carriages and the Jetson’s car. The display, however, fell apart by the time it reached spectators in the bleachers.

Roosevelt Quad took some stage time, with sophomore Colin McNally Bedel discussing the quad’s refusal to use a car to display their float. This was a way of living green and caring for the environment. Members of the quad dragged a statue of Wolfie covered in green plastic bags through the parade avenue, an act that received especially large cheers from the audience.

The winner of the float contest was H quad, which displayed a working waterfall and pictures of Mount Rushmore, showcasing the wonders of the natural world.