Seawolves Win Homecoming Thriller

It didn’t come easy. Nothing has for Stony Brook football thus far in 2008.

Red shirt Freshman Dayne Hoffman found tight end Adrian Sawyer for a 23-yard scoring strike with only 1:06 left to lift the Seawolves 20-19 over Charleston Southern on Homecoming.

The beleaguered Stony Brook offense looked much better on a day where they were able to find the end zone twice. The other score came courtesy of a Hoffman to Dwayne Eley nine yard touchdown connection. Hoffman, who played his best game of the season, went 17 of 33 for 210 yards. He threw two touchdowns, but more importantly did not throw an interception.

Late in the first quarter, after Charleston Southern had gone ahead 7-0, it got the ball back on its own 29 yard line. They proceeded to drive deep into Stony Brook territory, eventually coming upon a fourth and one at the Seawolves two yard line.

Stony Brook held its ground and made a pivotal goal line stand, giving its offense a chance to get back in the game.

Hoffman and company made it stand up.

98 yards later, as Eley ran into the end zone, the Stony Brook offense had scored its first touchdown in over four games worth of football.

“That becomes the change of Stony Brook football for 2008,” Head Coach Chuck Priore said of the drive after the game.

But it nearly was not enough.

The Seawolves were able to tie Charleston Southern at 13 on its first drive in the second half. Keyed by a 57 yard run by freshman Edwin Gowins, the Seawolves were able to kick a field goal to knot the score.

Charleston Southern answered on its next drive. Receiver Gerald Stevenson scored his third touchdown of the day, a 39 yarder that was the result of poor Stony Brook tackling. Stevenson had seven catches and 143 yards in the game.

But kicker John Paglia, who was shaky all day, missed the extra point that would have given Charleston Southern a seven point lead.

Instead, the Seawolves took advantage of the mistake and went on another improbable drive.

Powered mostly by the legs of Junior Conte Cuttino, who rushed for a season high 107 yards in the game, the Seawolves had a first and ten at the Charleston Southern 15 with about two minutes to play.

Hoffman could not connect with Eley on first down, and a holding penalty on second down put the Seawolves in a second and 20 hole. After another incomplete pass, chances looked bleak.

But after a time out, Hoffman dropped back and fired a perfect ball over the middle that found Sawyer in the end zone. The 23 yard touchdown sent the crowd into a frenzy, but they were on the edge of their seats until Andre Jean-Pierre sealed the victory when he recovered a fumble he caused with a jarring hit, sealing the game.

“This is a real confidence builder for the next couple of games,” Gowins said. Gowins contributed 97 yards on 10 carries in the game.

“It’s been a tough five weeks,” Hoffman said. “To get the offense rolling was exciting. We’ve been doing things but haven’t put it all together, and we did that today.”

Coach Priore reiterated the sentiment of how tough the season has been so far, culminating today when seven coaches missed the pre-game preparations after getting locked in the locker room.

“Typical 2008,” he said. “It’s been tough for five weeks. But I’m proud today happened.”