Keys to Homecoming Victory

Here are areas that the Seawolves must improve on if they hope to win on Saturday.

Score an Offensive Touchdown– The Seawolves have not scored an offensive touchdown in over 220 minutes-spanning over four games. For them to even have a chance against a Charleston Southern team that has averaged 22.6 points per game they will have to score.

Don’t Fall Behind Early– Because of their inability to score, the Seawolves have fallen behind early and have been playing catch-up. In the first quarter alone, they have been outscored 64-21. The strength of the Seawolves is their running game, and they haven’t been able to establish it because of the score.
    Pressure the Opposing QB- The Seawolves defense only has seven sacks, led by James Harris’s three. The other team has had plenty of time to throw, connecting on over 60% of their passes.

Find Consistent Quarterback Play- The coaches might have thrown redshirt freshman Dayne Hoffman into the fire too quickly. He has completed only 47.1 % of his passes, and does not have much mobility behind a shaky offensive lane. Maybe its time to see if senior Dan Sweeney can lead the team to a few victories, of if transfer junior Matt Dardenne, who threw 50 touchdown passes over two season at Laney College in California, is a better option at quarterback.

Play Good, Fundamental Football- Stony Brook must play turnover free football. Fumbles in consecutive games by freshman RB Edwin Gowins have led to opponent touchdown’s that put games out of reach. Holding penalties have negated long runs, pushing the Seawolves anemic offense even farther back.

Convert on Third Down- The Seawolves have only converted on 27% of their third downs. They must do better in this area, but first they have to get significant yardage on first and second down to keep them out of third and long

The game is on Saturday, 3:00 p.m. at Kenneth P. La Valle Stadium