Giving Into The Rhythm

On Oct. 11 at 8 p.m. in the Staller Center for the Arts on campus, an exceptionally talented performer dazzled a very lucky crowd. Before the famous tap dancer Savion Glover even got on stage, he had the crowd tapping their feet… with anticipation.

Darkness consumed the theater as faint outlines of three men walked across the stage, and applause filled the room as Mr. Glover and his fellow tap-dancers, Maurice Chestnut and Marshall Davis Jr., took their places on stage.

The lights brightened and the show began.

Some call tap-dancing a different kind of drum, the kind that always keeps the beat and then suddenly changes into a new one. It’s more than just that, though. It’s a dance all on its own and a way of expressing yourself.

On stage, Mr. Glover was lost in his own world, and he wasn’t looking for a way out. The constant smiling and movement revealed his never-ending happiness of being in that moment, doing what he loves to do, and sharing it with everyone else. His quick feet were a mesmerizing blur, yet he was always making music and tapping around. It looked like ice-skating at times because of how he was able to glide across the stage.

“I’ve never seen tap like that before,” said an awe-struck freshman, Kathleen Honigsberg. “I was actually worried that they might slip off stage because of the way that they were moving.”

Mr. Glover started drumming at the age of four. He was in love with beats and rhythms, which pushed him towards tap dancing lessons at seven years old. His mother couldn’t afford tap dancing shoes at the time so she gave him old cowboy boots with a hard bottom so he could get some sound out. Seven months later, he finally got real tap shoes.

When he was just 12, he appeared in “The Tap Dance Kid” on Broadway and became a sensation. After two years performing in “Kid” he moved on to Jazz Tap Festivals, which lead to dancing in “Black and Blue” in Paris. He won a Tony Award nomination for his work in the show.

The most recent work Mr. Glover has done includes being the tap choreographer of the Academy Award-winning movie “Happy Feet.”

Mr. Glover and his team put on a show that won’t be forgotten easily. The group fed off of the audience’s cheers and delivered a spectacular performance worthy of a five star rating. The synchronization between the three dancers was flawless and astonishing, altogether delivering a show no one would want to miss.