Rivalry Week Off to Poor Start

On Thursday Stony Brook’s women’s soccer team fell 1-0 to local rival Hofstra in double OT. The Pride’s Dana Bergstrom scored with less than four minutes remaining on a header inside the right post. Jess Crankshaw dribbled down the left sideline to the endline, and then crossed it to the far post where Bergstrom was able to head it past Seawolves goalkeeper Marisa Viola.

Viola was outstanding in net for Stony Brook, making 12 saves. Halfway through the first overtime, Viola made a diving stop on shot from 25 yards out. Later in the overtime session she made second exceptional save, stopping a Hofstra striker from ten yards out. Viola also received help from teammate Sarah Dwyer, who headed away a Hofstra shot wide.

The contest was a game of missed opportunity for the Seawolves, as they squandered many scoring chances throughout the game. With the first half winding down, the Seawolves had there best opportunity to score on a header by Rachel Silverman, but was turned away by Pride goalkeeper Krystal Robens. At the opening of the second half the Seawolves wasted another opportunity, as both Holly Razzaghi and Jen Egan both missed wide from within the 18-yard box. Kate Collins also missed an opportunity to score late in the game, as she fired a shot that went just over the net. Dominique Adamo almost gave the Seawolves a lead at the start of the second overtime, but also missed the net.

Through regulation Hofstra had twenty shots, eleven ending up on net. Stony Brook on the other hand, ended the game with six shots, with only one ending up on net. Hofstra ended the game with twenty six shots in total.

The Seawolves will try to rebound this past Sunday at home against Columbia past post time before starting America East play against Hartford on Sept. 28.