Craft Night

Creativity was out and about at the Student Union Ballroom, as students created colorful decorations for their dorm rooms and chowed down on food during the free event, Craft Night, which was held on Sept. 16. Among the many crafts were buttons, door hangers, sun catchers, scratch art, and beading. Even though Albert Einstein wasn’t talking about Craft Night when he coined the phrase, ‘creativity is more important than knowledge,’ he may as well have been. The room was filled with creative minds and people looking to catch a break from their schoolwork. ‘It feels just like being back in summer camp,’ commented one student participant. Ted Janson, a junior, said that he ‘liked being able to take home a pin of Zac Efron.’ Staff from the Craft Center chatted about the various programs offered while handing out pudding snacks and other delights. Dan Zeidler, a math major, created a sun catcher in the shape of a butterfly. Although Dan had no previous experience with the visual arts, he was inspired to sign up for a class. The class Dan chose, ‘Drawing for those who think they can’t, but would like to,’ is designed for people just like him. Other classes that will be offered by the Craft Center include pottery, painting, beaded jewelry, and surprisingly, improvisation comedy. The Craft Center will also offer, for a fee, bartending and defensive driving.