Volleyball Drops Two of Three Games

Stony Brook University’s volleyball team opened the newly renovated Pritchard Gymnasium with a win Tuesday, Sept. 9, by beating Manhattan 3-1, with scores of 25-22, 22-25, 25-18, and 25-18. Senior Gulce Nazli Dikecligil led the Seawolves with 16 kills and 13 digs, while freshman Kelsey Sullivan gathered up 40 assists. Stony Brook improved their record to 3-4 on the season so far after this game.

Three days after a tricky 3-1 victory over the Manhattan Jaspers, Stony Brook’s volleyball team breezed right through the rematch, 3-0 with scores of 25-10, 25-11, and 25-8, in its first game of the Rose Hill Classic on Friday afternoon Sept. 12. The Seawolves had an exceptionally evenhanded offensive attack as four Seawolves completed the games with five kills. The win brought Stony Brook’s record to 4-4.

Stony Brook University’s volleyball team couldn’t hold their winning streak as they lost two matches on the final day of the Rose Hill Classic on Saturday Sept 13. The Seawolves lost its first match of the day to Princeton, 3-1 with scores of 25-18, 22-25, 25-23, and 25-14. The team also lost later in the day to Fordham, 3-1 with scores of 25-17, 23-25, 25-19, and 25-23.

Both Dikecligil and Lisa Doremus recorded 13 kills from Stony Brook against Fordham. Sophomore Ashley Headen and junior Lindsay Gordon led the Seawolves defensively with five and four blocks respectively. After these loses the Seawolves fell to 4-6 on the season.

The Seawolves will move on with its season to face Long Island University on Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m.