Men’s Soccer Opens Home Slate With Victory

Nothing has come easy for the Seawolves men’s soccer team so far this year. But that only makes Sunday afternoon’s frantic comeback victory over Long Island University (LIU) even sweeter.

The game was scoreless throughout, until the 69th minute when LIU’s Jukka Lehto scored the games first goal off a give-and-go with Ryan Vignonna.

The LIU goal created momentum for the Blackbirds, who turned up the pressure on the Seawolves. Senior goalkeeper Dawid Ditrich had to make three saves in a five-minute span to keep Stony Brook in the game.

After Ditrich gave his best effort to keep his team in the game, the Seawolves offense finally broke through against Blackbirds keeper Adam Janssen. Freshman Kevin Zalewski put in a rebound after the ball had hit the post on a Stony Brook header and tied the game.

Less than two minutes later Oscar Leis headed a cross from James Palumbo into the back of the net to give the Seawolves a 2-1 lead.

The Blackbirds did not manage any shots after the Stony Brook goals allowing the Seawolves to escape LaValle Stadium with the victory.

Notes: The goal by Zalewski was the first in his Stony Brook career… The victory was the third straight time the Seawolves have won its home opener. The last loss occurred Sept. 1, 2005, against Hofstra University.