Men’s Soccer Loses to #3 Conneticut

On Wednesday September 3rd Stony Brook’s men’s soccer team traveled to Storrs, Connecticut to face off against the University of Connecticut. UConn, ranked third in the nation coming into the game, defeated Stony Brook 1-0. The Seawolves were done in by their defense, as the Huskies were able to capitalize on an own goal by Stony Brook.

The Huskies, bringing a dynamic offense into the game, had trouble finishing as they peppered the Seawolves with eleven first half shots, and nineteen overall. The Seawolves struggled to get into an offensive flow, as they only managed to put three shots on goal. Despite that, Stony Brook was engaged in a 0-0 tie with less than 20 minutes remaining.

But in the 75th minute they would finally break. On an odd play, a ball deflected off a Seawolves defender and past goalkeeper Dawid Ditrich. As was the case all night, the offense couldn’t rebound, as all they could muster in the final 15 minutes was a corner kick and one shot which was blocked. In the loss Ditrich made nine saves, turning in a strong performance for the third straight game. Stony Brook is now 0-2-1.