Roth Dining Renovations Nearing Completion

Long lines at the Student Activities Center (SAC) cafeteria have been the source of many student complaints. Some attribute the problem to the recent overcrowding of the school, but the problems are nothing new. When the SAC was first constructed, it was not intended to be the central point of campus. The Union was originally planned to be the main place where students could eat during the day. But given the proximity to the buses and Academic Mall, the SAC hasn’t been able to efficiently meet the needs of all the students. The Faculty Student Association (FSA), in charge of campus dining, has attempted to make other options more appealing to alleviate some of the pressure on the SAC. Some changes include the renovation of the Union last year, and the same is now being done to Roth Quad’s dining hall. The Roth Cafeteria originally opened in 1966, and since then, has served over 25 million meals. The dining hall was originally designed with two lines serving the meal for the day, according to the Roth food court renovations website. It had been updated since its original construction, with the addition of Kosher Dining, Burger King, and additional serving lines. The need for a better and larger space as well as the aging of the building led to the complete renovation of the space. Money for the renovation comes from the facility fee paid as part of every student’s meal plan. Almost $300 of the basic resident meal plan goes towards this fee, which pays for maintenance and renovation. The renovation was first planned for 2003, but the closing of the dining hall and renovations didn’t begin until the end of spring semester in 2007. Construction was supposed to take one year with the new facility opening in the fall of 2008. Now, with the start of the new year, many students are anxious to see Roth re-open. The construction is mostly finished, and the facility is being tested by the Health Department. After approval, the staff will undergo training, including a nationally mandated Wendy’s program. The workers who staffed Roth before the renovations were relocated to other venues during the construction, and the workers will again be redistributed to fill the needs of the new cafeteria. In addition to Wendy’s, the new Roth cafeteria will offer made-to-order subs, pizza, an International Market, and Pura Vida coffee and tea Once the cafeteria opens with its own unique food choices, FSA hopes that Roth will take some of the pressure off of the SAC. The SAC will no longer be the closest option for those living in Roth Quad and the newly renovated dining area will provide another lunchtime alternative for hungry students, faculty and staff.