Summer Concerts Part II

As the semester comes to an end, students look forward to a long-awaited break from teachers, term papers and finals. With summer just around the corner, the perfect way to blow off all that pent up frustration is to invest that extra cash from selling your textbooks back on a ticket for a summer concert.

A summer concert is the ideal way to reward yourself for all those late nights in the library and long days of living off Starbucks and energy bars. With this list of summer concerts and the previous list of concerts we wrote about in our April issue, there should be no excuse for missing out on the festivities.

Every summer Dave Matthews Band goes on an annual tour stopping at several major cities along the way. This year their summer tour kicks off on May 30 in Pittsburgh, Penn., at the Post Gazette Pavilion at Star Lake.

Unfortunately, the band doesn’t make their way to the tri-state area until June. The first opportunity to catch Dave Matthews Band will at the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden, N.J., on June 3. The next stop for Dave and the gang will be in New York, where they will be bunking up for a total of three concerts.

The first chance to catch Dave in New York is on June 17 at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, in Darien Center, N.Y., but I suggest holding out for their next New York show in Saratoga Springs. The band will be performing two shows at the Saratoga Springs Art Center on June 20 and June 21. This concert is anticipated to be one of the highlights of the band’s tour and is typically the show where the band likes to play all their favorite songs and hidden tracks.

The next must for summer concerts is the Bonnaroo Festival on June 12. Bonnaroo is a festival featuring many signature bands that has been growing increasingly popular among the indie population since its start in 2002.

The festival is a four-day camping event with several stages held in Manchester, Tenn. Some critics are referring to the festival as the new “hippie fest” or “Woodstock of a new generation” and music enthusiasts swear by it.

This year the lineup features bands like Pearl Jam, Jack Johnson, Kanye West, Against Me!, The Raconteurs , O.A.R and several others. The only downside to such a stellar event is the price of the tickets which range from $209.50 for the early bird special to $244.50 for the latecomers. The ticket includes a four-day weekend passes, camping and parking. If you have the extra cash, this concert is worth the investment.

To finish up the summer, the All Points West Festival will be held from Friday, August 8 to Sunday, August 10. This festival is being headlined by the most talked about band of the year, Radiohead, and Jack Johnson.

Radiohead will be headlining for the first two days of the concert and Jack Johnson will be headlining on the third, but we can all keep our fingers crossed that they will perform a special duet on one of the days. Other bands playing include The Roots, Kings of Leon, Underworld, Animal Collective, Cat Power and Nicole Atkins. Tickets are $89.00 for a single day and $258.00 for a three-day pass. Carpool passes are also available when you purchase four tickets to the festival, but only for Saturday and Sunday.

Tickets for these festivals are selling out quick so I suggest logging on to ticketmaster.com or stubhub.com to snag a spot. Concert information for these three concerts mentioned above can be found at the following — http://www.dmband.com, http://www.bonnaroo.com, and http://www.apwfestival.com.