Seawolves fall just short in 8-7 loss to Notre Dame

In their first real test of the young season,  the Women’s Lacrosse team showed that talent is not the only thing that they won’t have to worry about for the next four years. They have a massive will to win.

Facing the No. 15 ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish on Saturday night, the Seawolves fell just short of a tremendous comeback in an 8-7 loss.

The freshmen stars of this year’s team rose to the occasion once again, putting forth a valiant performance against a tough opponent. Faced with adversity from the start, a 7-2 deficit was nearly erased, mostly through the play of two young phenoms, freshmen Dorrien Van Dyke and Courtney Murphy.

Barely into the second half, a 6-2 halftime deficit rose to 7-2 with 29:15 to play. From there on out, it was the Van Dyke-Murphy show, tallying four of the next five goals in the game to draw the Seawolves to within two as the clock continued to tick down.

In desperation mode, senior Alyssa Cardillo made Notre Dame sweat with a goal of her own, making it only a 8-7 deficit in the game’s final two minutes. The tremendous second half defensive effort and scoring barrage from the Seawolves was not enough, however, as there just was not enough time left.

So far this season, a lot of the production for the Seawolves has come from Van Dyke and Murphy, who entered the third game of the year with seven goals each. The duo carried the bulk of the offensive load against a strong Fighting Irish defense—Van  Dyke netted three goals, while Murphy aided the Seawolves’ comeback with two of her own.

Not enough could be said of goalkeeper Frankie Caridi. Facing 19 shots, the senior stopped 11, giving Stony Brook a chance to fight back in the first place.

The Seawolves look to get back into the win column on Wednesday afternoon in Philadelphia, as the team takes on Drexel in an important early season contest.