Tegan and Sara-

For this week’s album review, I am about a year late. Indie-pop/rock band Tegan and Sara released their fifth album, “The Con,” last summer. I had only heard a few songs from the album since its release. In fact, it was not until I was thinking of what to write for this week’s column that I listened to it in its entirety. After listening to it I must say I think it’s an album worth listening to.

Tegan and Sara are comprised of twin sisters Tegan Quin and Sara Quin from Alberta, Canada. The sisters first began playing together under the name Sara and Tegan in the early 1990s after winning a garbage band competition. After they graduated high school the duo recorded two demos, “Yellow Tape” and “Red Demo.” In 1999 they independently released the album “Under Feet Like Ours.” The following year they had their first official release with their label Vapor Records. Since then the singer-songwriters have had great indie musical success with a strong fan following. Some movies and television shows have even featured a few of their songs.

When I first discovered Tegan and Sara I heard their song “So Jealous” and was intrigued by their unique vocal stylings. I loved how Tegan and Sara had such different vocals styles, yet they worked so well together, they complement each other perfectly. Although it has been said that each sister sings the songs on that album that she has written herself, I’m still unable to really tell them apart. From what I can hear one has a brassy, lower-pitched voice and the other a more feminine, higher pitched voice, together their voice make great harmonizing melodies.

My personal favorite tracks on the album are “The Con” and “Hop a Plane.” Since listening to the album I seem to be pressing repeat on these two particular tracks. I think what I love most about these two tracks is that one minute you think you know exactly what the song is about, but then the next minute you begin to doubt your first impression. I think that’s something Tegan and Sara do very well, provide catchy songs with lyrics that keep you pondering what they’re about.

I also like that the album goes from an up beat, fast pace, synthesized track like “Are Tou Ten Years Ago” to a slower, guitar-based show like “Call It Off.” The album does this a lot, going from a fast-paced rhythm to a much softer melody.

My only problem with the album is that the tracks are a little too short. Not many of the tracks are more than three minutes long. It’s not a life-changing album by any means, but as a whole I enjoyed the album. I hope to continue to hear great music from this dynamic sister duo.