Hockey moves up to No. 6 in the nation over break

While most of the campus was away on break, the Stony Brook Seawolves Hockey team was at work climbing up to 6th in the nation in last week’s polls of the American Collegiate Hockey Association.

They started the break in Hershey, Pa. taking on Lebanon Valley College in a two game weekend series.

They had hosted the Dutchmen earlier in the season and swept the weekend handily. This time on the road, however, was a tougher task. Credit LVC’s grit, or the relaxed attitude of the Seawolves in the first game. Either way, Stony Brook let up a late empty net goal and lost the game 6-4.

That would serve as a wake-up call however, as the Seawolves would jump to a 2-0 lead on the second day. The Dutchmen would answer with two power play goals, and then Stony Brook took control. They would score four unanswered and earn the series split with a 6-2 victory.

On January 12th, the Liberty Flames, then-4th in the country, would come to the Rinx at Hauppauge to take on the then 9th-ranked Seawolves in a big weekend series. Stony Brook came out firing and controlled the first period, going up 3-0 and they would keep their distance, winning the game by the same three-goal margin, 7-4.

On the next day, however, the Flames showed why they had that high ranking coming in. Stony Brook came out firing and had two goals in three minutes to take a 2-0 lead.

The Flames would come back and tie the game at three going into the third and then score two in the final period to take a 5-3 win and a series split back home.

The next weekend, Stony Brook would sweep the West Virginia Mountaineers, winning 3-1 on Saturday and 4-2 on Sunday.

This past weekend, the Seawolves took Delaware in another matchup of two top-10 teams and they would make it two sweeps in twoweekends, winning both games 4-2 and 8-4. With this four-game winning streak, the Seawolves improve to 19-4-3 on the season.

Stony Brook ended the break on a four-game winning streak. / Photo by Emily McTavish