Seawolves fall in back-to-back contests to close out-of-conference play

Rebounding has hardly been a problem for the Stony Brook Seawolves this season, but it was their biggest foe in a 68-63 loss at Columbia University.
The Columbia Lions won the rebounding battle by a margin of 10 boards and collected 12 offensive boards (38.7% of possible chances) to trump their season average of 8.2 a contest. These second opportunities were the nail in the coffin for the Seawolves, who out-rebounded their opponents in four straight games prior to tonight.
“They wanted the ball more, bad balance, a lot of things happened for us not to get rebounds and it cost us with a lot of three pointers they made in the second half,” Jameel Warney said after the game.
The cause of Stony Brook’s rebounding troubles? The three-point heavy Lion offense – which connected on 12-30 long bombs – whose misses make for long bounces off the rim that the Seawolves weren’t prepared for.
The Lions are also known for their stingy defense, a product of their slow-paced play that’s ranked them 18th in the nation in points allowed per game.
But offense wasn’t the biggest of problems for the Seawolves, who bounced back from a 41.7% shooting performance in the first half to hit 51.6% of their shots in the final twenty minutes.
Jameel Warney – despite being undersized in this matchup – finished with 20 points on 9-14 shooting. Anthony Jackson added 16 points and Dave Coley eight – all of which coming in the second half. Puriefoy wasn’t his usual explosive self, but still contributed nine points on the night.
Ahmad Walker struggled mightily in this one, possibly due to a knee injury he picked up 5 minutes into the game. He returned to action to finish with minutes played, going 0-4 from the field.
“I always have concerns about all our guys’ health,” head coach Steve Pikiell said. “He got through the game and hopefully he’ll be fine.”
Apart from the rebounding battle, the Seawolves’ defense was tested against a Lions club that ran their offense to the final seconds of the shot clock on nearly every possession.
Stony Brook was strong defensively in the first half – holding Columbia to just 3-10 shooting from deep – but eventually gave way to an onslaught from Maodo Lo and Rosenberg, who finished with 29 and 24 points respectively. Rosenberg just recently became a starter for Columbia, and has already been named an Ivy League Co-Player of the Week after averaging 22 points and 6.5 rebounds in two games.
“I think [Rosenberg is] a talented offensive player, and so is Lo. We were trying to take away threes so those guys had room to operate. Rosenberg’s a tough match-up – he can shoot threes, he posts you up, he can dribble. And Lo’s a good one-on-one player too. He got in the lane, finished over us,” Pikiell said.
Despite the exploits from Lo and Rosenberg, Stony Brook was able to keep the game within reach for 38 minutes, until some back-breaking offensive boards, threes and one huge turnover with a minute to play knocked a potential victory out of reach.
The Seawolves have now concluded out-of-conference play with the team’s second streak of back-to-back losses this season, which hasn’t worried Coach Pikiell, “We’ll win, we’ll be fine. We go back to practice, we’ll be well prepared. We’ll be ready to play, our guys play hard, we defend and we usually rebound. That’s how you win at any level.”
The Seawolves are now 9-6 heading into their next match-up at Hartford on Sunday.