Tennis Unstoppable ‘ Unbeaten of Late

April 5- The Stony Brook Women’s Tennis road momentum on their way victory over Albany. The Seawolves won the meet 6-1, first singles player Paola Rodolfi defeating Aimee Kern 2-6, 6-0, 6-0. The team proved to be consistent with their wins. Rodolfi stated ‘I always have to put one hundred percent in every game.’ Rodolfi also added to the win in a No.2 doubles match with partner Sandy Wijeratne, just named the America East Performer of the Week. The duo had a victory of 8-1, while No.3 doubles Fanny Charliquart and Victoria Vovsha had an 8-5 victory, putting the Lady Seawolves in the lead for the team score. Second singles player Claudia Sanua defeated Susan Ma with a 6-3, 6-3 triumph, and Sandy Wijeratne had a victory over Kim Weltman of Albany with a 6-3, 6-0 score. Stony Brook’s only blemish was Charlotte Tatler of Albany defeating Erica Federgreen with a score of 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Coach Gary Glassman said, ‘This was the best Albany team I’ve seen since the nine years I’ve been coaching, they are a confident team.’

April 7- The Seawolves crushed the Sacred Heart Lady Hawks tennis team, sweeping all nine matches. First and second single players Claudia Sanua and Paola Rodolfi led the way, dropping only one game each. The other matches were won in straight sets. Sanua and junior Erica Federgreen won their 1st doubles match 8-6. The other two double matches went 8-1 and 8-3, in favor of Stony Brook.

April 9- Senior Sandy Wijeratne was named the America East Performer of the Week for the second time this season for Women’s tennis team. Wijeratne was undefeated in both singles and doubles player, leading Stony Brook during their four game winning streak. She raised her season record 16-5, and has won six of last seven matches. Later in the day the Seawolves took down their fifth straight opponent, on the road against Hofstra. Their last loss came over three weeks ago, against Florida Gulf Coast on Mar. 19.

Upcoming Schedule:

4/12 vs UMBC 11:00 am

4/13 @ Binghamton 10:00 am

4/15 vs Quinnipiac 2:00 pm

4/19 vs Hartford 12:00 pm

4/25 America East Championship @ New Haven, Conn.