Seawolves, Hastie Excel in Duke Invitational

The Stony Brook Seawolves track and field team traveled down past the Mason-Dixon Line to compete in the Duke Invitational in Durham, N.C., last week. The Seawolves had five runners place within the top 10 during the first day on Friday, two runners place in the top 10 on Saturday, and one first place finisher from a familiar face.

Friday’s first day of the meet proved to be an eventful one. For the men’s team, with a time of 8:21.49, sophomore Daire Bermingham placed highest with a second place finish in the 3,000-meter. Competing in the same event for the men’s team was sophomore Iain Whitfield. He placed eighth amongst the other runners with a time of 8:31.11.

For the women’s team, senior Kerry Salzano took second for the women’s team in the grueling 10,000-meter event with a time of 37:11.81. Competing in the 3,000-meter on the women’s side was freshman Ruth Gillespie and senior Elizabeth Carlson. They finished seventh with a time of 10:16.06 and ninth with a time of 10:23.18, respectively. The teams then came back the next day, Saturday, at 9 o’clock, to complete the second leg of the Duke Invitational.

Representing Stony Brook in the all day events was a veteran who knows her way around first place finishes. Senior Dana Hastie finished first in the women’s 5,000-meter run with a time of 16:42.09. Wanting to keep the crowd impressed, Hastie blew past her opponents with a finishing time of nearly 18 seconds faster than the second-place finisher. Freshman Jessica Hampson was the next highest finisher, after Hastie, for the women’s team. Hampson claimed sixth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:00.53. Fellow freshman Carolina Cortes finished just two spots behind Hampson in eighth, with a time of 11:02.93.

The Stony Brook Seawolves will continue their road trip as they visit Tempe, Ariz., next weekend to compete in the Sun Angel Track Classic.