Seawolves Sweep Binghamton

The Stony Brook baseball team swept Binghamton in double-headers on Saturday and Sunday to start off conference play 4-0. They won game one in a back and forth affair that had them up 7-1 at one point and down 9-7 in the eighth inning. The Seawolves took the lead for good in a four-run bottom of the 8th, keyed by junior Rob Dyer’s two-run home run. The Seawolves won the second game of the series after being down 4-3 in the sixth inning. Home runs by sophomore Jeremy Nowak and freshman Nick Thode gave Stony Brook a 5-4 lead which was closed out by Nowak.

The Seawolves won the first game on Sunday 7-6 behind a seven-run outburst in the third inning. The scoring in the inning began with an RBI single by freshman Stephen Marino and a sacrifice fly by junior Brian Witkowski. Junior Keith Fier came around to score after a stolen base attempt led the Binghamton catcher to throw the ball into leftfield. Nowak had an RBI double and the inning was capped off by a three-run home run by Dyer.

The Seawolves completed the sweep after junior Mike Errigo pitched eight and two-thirds innings of shutout baseball. He scattered seven hits and had seven strikeouts. Stony Brook scored five runs in the fourth inning. An error by the Binghamton third baseman allowed the Seawolves to score their first run and Marino followed with a two-run single. Junior Justin Echevarria who is playing with a bad shoulder, laced an RBI double to make it 4-0 and scored after a single by Witkowski.

The Seawolves had been 10-10 before this series but it was all in out of conference play where they faced strong competition from around the country. They have 20 America East games left and a 4-0 start bodes well for them going forward. We’ll take a more in-depth look at the series and the Seawolves season in Thursday’s issue.