Weekend Quick Hits

Women’s Lacrosse Toppled by New Hampshire
    by Gene Morris

After jumping out to a 3-1 lead just five minutes into the game against #14 New Hampshire, the Seawolves eventually lost control of the game and ended the half down 10-4. The second half was relatively even, but the Seawolves were not able to make up for the poor first half and fell 17-10.

Jenna Celano, Elizabeth Montreuil and Kaitlin Leggio put the Seawolves up early. New Hampshire went up one with a three goal run over a seven minute span. Leggio scored her second of the game to even the score, but New Hampshire then went on another run, this one six goals long, to end the half. The Seawolves were down as much as 17-6 late in the second half before scoring the last four goals of the game.

Jamie Carlson and Mickey Cahill split time in goal, making four and three saves respectively. Samantha Djaha led the offense with four goals.

The Seawolves next take the field on Wednesday, when they travel to Boston to play the Boston University Terriers. Game time is at 4:00pm.

Softball Emerges from Weekend Play 3-3
    by Jessica McClintock

On Wednesday April 2nd, the Stony Brook women’s softball team went to Fordham and won 4-2.

Thursday April 3rd, they had a double header at home against Rutgers in which they won the first game 10-5 and lost the second game 2-1.

Saturday April 5th there was another double header on the home field, but this time against Boston University. Unfortunately, Stony Brook fell in both games with scores of 1-0 and 2-0.

However, they picked it back up by winning their third game against Boston on Sunday April 6th with a score of 2-1. Sophomore Alyssa Struzenberg pitched all eight innings for the Seawolves, striking out nine batters while picking up her 10th win of the season.

The women’s softball team will be back in action on Wednesday April 9th with a double header in Hartford, Connecticut.