Passing the Bigger Better Bottle Bill Just Makes Sense

After reading the article “Going Green, ’80s Style,” I was encouraged by the fact that the students of Stony Brook are becoming more active in conveying their concern and taking action to help save New York’s environment. I feel that students are really making an effort to reproduce the environmental awareness and achievements that took place during the ’80s that not only helped fight against the current dangers of the day, but also helped to ensure a cleaner future.

One of the biggest steps that we can take to help out New York’s environment is to pass the Bigger Better Bottle Bill in the state budget this year. Based on the fact that the original Bottle Bill, that was passed in 1982, has resulted in such success, it just makes sense to support the updates to it. After all, the updates are advocating for basically the same things as the original. Twenty-six years of data has shown that implementing a deposit on recyclable containers results in a huge increase in the amount of containers that end up being recycled, and if more containers are being recycled, that means that less pollution is ending up on our beaches or in our neighborhoods. Our environment is being kept cleaner and healthier by this bill than it otherwise would be without the increase in recycling.

Besides the long list of environmental benefits, the Bigger Better Bottle Bill can also play a role in reducing the state budget deficit. The second part of the bill would require that beverage companies, which currently keep any unredeemed bottle deposits for themselves, to transfer any unclaimed deposits to the state’s Environmental Protection Fund. This would generate at least $100 million every year in funding to help protect our environment. New York State is actually behind the times in this respect, because other states, such as Massachusetts and Hawaii, have already implemented this system.

The Bigger Better Bottle Bill is a smart piece of legislation, and it has the potential to play a huge role in helping to preserve and protect New York’s environment. A dramatic increase in recycling (which comes bundled with a decrease in the amount of pollution created, as well as a decrease in the amount of energy used to create new bottles), along with the ability to generate millions of dollars that can be put toward our environment, are just some of the effects that would come about by passing this bill.

When it comes to making a positive change for the sake of the environment, passing the Bigger Better Bottle Bill is something that just makes sense.