Women’s Wins Regular Season Finale

On Wednesday, Mar. 5, Stony Brook’s women’s basketball team played their final road game of the season. Coming into the game the Lady Seawolves had lost their past 11 games, and their last eight games on the road. Unfortunately for Stony Brook, Hartford (24-5, 14-2 in conference) was and remained undefeated at home after beating the Lady Seawolves 81-46.

Stony Brook shot 28.8% for the game, including 0-5 from behind the arc. Some notable players for the Lady Seawolves were sophomore Kairsten Nunn who had 10 points and senior Dana Ferraro who had 10 rebounds.

On Saturday, Mar. 8, their senior day, the Lady Seawolves hosted New Hampshire, and honored seniors Dana Ferraro, Aly Young, Morgan Patrick and Cheri Davis. Besides being the final home game, the game was also their last of the regular season. Fortunately, they not only beat New Hampshire by a score of 77-37, but they ended their 12 game losing streak, and ended their season on a high note. They finished the regular season with a 7-22, 2-14 record.

Although they usually struggled in this area, the Lady Seawolves shot 27-55 (49.1%) for the game. Freshman Jodie Plikus and senior Aly Young led the team with 13 points each, while three others scored in double figures.

The next game for the Lady Seawolves (#9 in the conference) will be in the first round of the America East Conference tournament, where they will face #8 Maine on Thursday, Mar. 13. The winner of the game will then go on to face #1 Hartford.