Men’s and Women’s Basketball Both Dropped in Doubleheader

Men’s Basketball Edged By Binghamton 49-44

After jumping out to an early nine-point lead, the Stony Brook Seawolves offensive woes continued as they lost 49-44 to the Binghamton Bearcats on Senior Day. Emanuel Neto, Ricky Lucas, and Mitchell Beauford were all honored prior to there final game at Stony Brook Arena. All three performed well, with Lucas and Beauford each scoring 10 points, while Neto scored nine points and grabbed nine rebounds.

With Lazar Trifunovic, Binghamton’s leading rebounder and scorer, out on the court, Stony Brook was able to outscore Binghamton 20-12 in the paint. Their inability to shoot from the outside, however, proved to be their Achilles’ heel.

The Seawolves were held to only 30.5 percent from the field. Stony Brook was able to keep the game close throughout, even possessing a lead with 12:29 left in the game. But what has plagued them all season has been extended scoring droughts, as over the last three minutes of the game they were only able to score two points.

After a ten game losing streak Stony Brook heads into the America East Tournament winning two of their last four. They will play Maine in the opening play-in game of the tournament Friday night at 7 p.m. While they are the last seed, the Seawolves defensive prowess gives them a chance to do some damage next week.

Women’s Basketball Stomped by BU 70-58

As the second part of a double header at Stony Brook Arena Stony Brook’s women’s basketball team took on the Boston University Terriers. The Seawolves started off with a 13-9 lead after three consecutive baskets by Dana Ferraro, Kirsten Jeter, and Misha Horsey. The Terriers proceeded to go on an 8-0 run and would close out the half with a 30-28 lead.

Cheri Raffo had a game high 25 points for Boston University. She scored 10 points in the opening 10 minutes of the second half to extend the Terriers lead to 52-36. The Seawolves would then rip off an 18-4 run to cut the lead to four with 2:23 remaining. Freshman Jodie Plikus and Jeter combined for 14 of the 18 points.

Boston University would answer, with consecutive baskets from Raffo and Kasey Devine to bring the lead back to 8. Down the stretch the Terriers would put the game out of reach by hitting 7 of 8 free throws. Ferraro was named America East Player of the Game with a team high 13 points and seven rebounds.

The lady Seawolves play their final road game of the regular season as they head to Hartford to face the Hawks Wednesday night at 7:00 PM.