Gunman on SBU campus, report to police says

UPDATE: 3:20 p.m. – Police have searched the area and report that there is no longer an immediate threat, said an SB Alert! text message. They have not caught the perpetrator, but classes are still in session. “All clear,” the message said.

University Police received reports Monday afternoon that an armed man was on campus.

The gunman was described as an African American male, about 25 years of age and wearing a black coat and black wool hat. He reportedly fled from the Student Activities Center where he attempted a robbery in the direction of Harriman Hall.

According to WUSB reports, the Wang Center, Administration and the Humanities Buildings were locked down. Some students were allowed to leave buildings after word spread that the whole campus is not on lockdown. WUSB has also reported that the University Bookstore has been closed.

Inspector Robert Stafford from University Police has said that the report is currently unconfirmed and that police are still investigating.

Students are urged to follow emergency procedures and be cautious when moving around campus.

A series of text messages and voice messages sent through SB Alert!, alerted some students of the danger; however, some say that they received no such message from the University.

Local news agencies were also reporting on this situation, including Newsday and News 12.

Yi-Jin Yu contributed reporting.