Beads, Buttons and More

Bead necklaces, button-making, homemade Valentine’s Day cards… sounds like an elementary school art class, right? Well, all of these activities took place at Stony Brook’s Craft Fair.

The bi-annual craft fair, part of the Chill Fest activities held at the beginning of the semester, took place Tuesday night.

Any doubts arts and crafts activities from elementary school would hold up on a college campus were proven wrong by the way in which all the people attending the event set free their inner pre-schooler.

“Students have a chance to do stuff that they haven’t done since grade school,” said Jan Castanzo, the Craft Center coordinator. “It’s a place to come [and] relax. [That] is what Chill Fest is all about.”

Students, on the other hand, had mixed feelings. Some welcomed the idea of revisiting younger days, but others weren’t so enthusiastic.

Still, the Union Ballroom was crowded with those trying to relive the golden years of their youth — skeptics or not.

Perhaps it’s a sign that SB should should focus more attention on University-sponsored events like this one, since there is such a great demand for them.

So if you missed this event, fear not. The Craft Center will be hosting “Make it, Take it” events in the Union Lobby once a month so you’ll still have a chance to satisfy your inner child.