Northern Illinois University shooter identified

Feb. 15 – Stephen Kazmierczak, 27, of Champaign, Ill. was identified by authorities at a press conference today as the gunman who opened fire on students in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University (NIU) yesterday afternoon.

Kazmierczak, who killed five people and himself in the attack, was described as an “outstanding student” by Donald Grady, chief of NIU’s department of public safety, according to the New York Times.

However, Kazmierczak, according to Mr. Grady, had been acting erratic in recent weeks and had apparently stopped taking certain medication he was on.

Earlier today, reports were made that a seventh victim had died, but those reports were caused by a “miscommunication” at the coroner’s office in Dekalb, Ill.

Kazmierczak used four guns in the attack, according to the Times. He bought two — a 12-gauge shotgun and a 9-millimeter Glock pistol — six days ago from a gun dealer in Champaign; they were legally registered to him. The two other pistols were being traced.

Police do not understand Kazmierczak’s motive and he left no note or explanation, the Times reported.

Kazmierczak, who won the Dean’s award in 2006, reportedly parked near the lecture hall, carried the shotgun in a guitar case, and had the pistols and ammunition tied to his body. He was wearing a coat to conceal the weapons.

He then burst into the lecture hall and sprayed the room without saying a word.

48 casings and six shotgun shells were found at the scene.

The deceased from yesterday’s rampage have been identified as: Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester, Ill.; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero, Ill.; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville, Ill.; Julianna Gehant,32, of Mendota, Ill.; and Gayle Dubowski, 20, of Carol Stream, Ill.

“There were no red flags,” Grady said, “Unfortunately, these things happen.” — from the Times’ report.