No Coaching Carousel at SB

While coaches come and go around college and pro football, Stony Brook fans will see head coach Chuch Priore on the sidelines at least until 2012. The extension was announced in late January. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The Seawolves are off a 6-5 season, which included victories over Maine, Georgetown, and Bucknell.

‘I’m happy to be here with a contract extension,’ Priore said. ‘I am pleased by the effort by Stony Brook and pleased to be a part of the program.’

This is another step in the right direction for the football program. Finally getting a roster with full scholarships, Coach Priore will be able to lead the team for several more years. It will be an easier transition into the Big South Conference, Stony Brook’s new football conference for the 2008 season.

‘This business takes time,’ Priore also said. ‘We have developed a plan and are following it. It takes time to build up a program.’ Priore is also glad that the University is ‘building the program the right way.’

Coaching changes create problems in any sport at any level. ‘Continuity is important while building up a program,’ Priore said. With a new coach coming in, a different philosophy on how to play the game often comes. New game plans and coaching schemes may take months to learn, and could affect a season, if not multiple seasons.

Coach Priore will look to build on his 11-11 record at Stony Brook.