Track ‘ Field Update

Grit and determination has paid off for the athletes of the Stony Brook Indoor track and field team as Stony Brook placed seven Seawolves in the top eight of their events at the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Championships(METS) at the Armory Track in New York City. The Seawolves competed against many of the top runners from Division 1 schools. The Seawolves performed well and gave the METS runners a run for their money.

Competing against the other schools were Seawolves, familiar for their success this year. Names like Bermingham, Muhammad, Voltaire, and Vos. For the men, Mubaarak Muhammad, a senior hailing from Saratoga Springs, New York, did exceptionally well in his events. He broke the Stony Brook record for the Triple Jump with a distance of 14.33 meters. For perspective, that is equivalent to 47 feet. But, the jump was only good enough for fourth place. Muhammad’s jump catapulted him into qualification of the IC4A’s, which consists of thirteen different events. This will be his first time competing in the IC4A’s.

Also placing well for the men was senior Justin Miller from Smithtown. Miller placed third in the shot put with a distance of 14.45 meters. Junior Jeremy Vasquez of Huntington placed seventh in the same event with a throw of 13.10 meters. Two medley teams also competed for the Seawolves. For the distance medley team, sophomore Daire Bermingham (Portmarnock, Ireland), senior Melvin Genao (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y.,) junior Gary Chan (Flushing, N.Y.), and sophomore Kurt Wende (Williamsville, N.Y.), had a solid effort and finished sixth with a time of 10:36.27. The top finishers of the 4X800 relay team consisted of sophomores Brandon Leung (Rego Park, N.Y.) and Chris Morfesi (West Babylon, N.Y.), Bermingham, and freshman Shamell Forbes (Springfield Gardens, N.Y.). This team placed seventh in their event with a time of 8:07.08.

The women also competed. The top finisher at the METS was sophomore Lisa Voltaire, all the way from Stockholm, Sweden, who placed third in the 800-meter with a time of 2:15.73. The women’s distance medley team of freshmen Carolina Cortes and Leanne Skrabacz, and sophomores Voltaire and Stephanie Vos also had a third place finish to go with Voltaire’s with a time of 12:31.44.

Both teams performed solidly and some individual efforts showed the promise the teams possess. The track and field team travels to Boston, Massachusetts next Friday on Feb. 8