Attempted Robbery at Kelly Quad

Two armed men attempted a robbery early Tuesday morning at Eisenhower College Residence Hall in Kelly Quad, according to the University Police and eyewitness accounts.

The main suspect remains unidentified and was described by witnesses as a black male, wearing dark clothing and a ski mask.

The suspect was able to enter the suite through the unlocked door where he quickly turned off the lights within the room, several eyewitnesses confirmed. He then waved the gun as he threatened the roomful of students who were casually playing cards.

His partner, which eyewitnesses described as “brown”, waited outside the room.

At first, the friends all believed that this was a prank by a resident of the suite. They laughed and played the it off as a joke, not immediately understanding the gravity of the situation.

However, they quickly realized that this was no joke. The gunman started cocking his gun and slammed shut a bedroom door inside the suite while yelling, “Don’t f–king come out!” said Loretta Lelvin, a resident at Eisenhower College and one of the seven students who was in the suite at the time.

Three friends, two female and one male, who were smoking on the balcony at the time, noticed something was wrong when they saw the room darken. That was when they heard the boom of the slammed door and saw the gunman.

Christian Beauchamp, one of the students who was on the balcony, said that the gunman “looked squarely into my face,” and they made eye contact. Seconds later, shaken and scared, he leapt off the first floor balcony along with his two companions.

They immediately notified the Residential Security Program (RSP), who contacted the Stony Brook Police, while the five male students and two female friends were held captive inside the suite.

Police soon arrived at the scene but both suspects had already left in what eyewitnesses identified as a black Mercedes-Benz.

Representatives from administration and of the Stony Brook University Police Department tried to reassure the university community that “this matter is under active investigation,” in a press conference on Tuesday.

There were no reported injuries among the seven students held by the assailants and no property was reported stolen.

For updated coverage, a more detailed story will be published in Thursday’s print edition and a video will be available on the Statesman’s website.