Men’s Basketball Holds off NJIT

After a Ricky Lucas lay-up to put the Seawolves up 14-12, SB never looked back against visiting NJIT. Monday night saw the Stony Brook’s Men’s Basketball team host NJIT and beat the Highlanders 62-53.

In the first half, Stony Brook’s defense carried them to a 30-24 lead going into the locker room. The Seawolves caused 13 turnovers, including five steals, and only allowed the Highlanders to shoot 31.8 percent from the field.

‘We’re learning how to win, and that’s important,’ Head Coach Steve Pikiell said.

On top of suffocating defense, the Seawolves executed well on the offensive end. They shot a 44.8 percent from the field including 4-7 from downtown. NJIT kept the score close by getting to the free throw line, shooting 7-9 from the line. While the Seawolves dominated the Highlanders on both the offensive and defensive end, they had a hard time pulling away.

The Seawolves came out hot in the second. They started the half on a run 11-4, breaking out to a 41-28 lead. The Seawolves would build up to a 51-34 lead with 11:12 remaining in the game. The Highlanders fought back to bring Stony Brook’s lead down to a slim 4 point margin, after NJIT went on a 17-4 run to bring the score to 55-51 with 4:06 remaining. But that was the closest the Highlanders would get. The Seawolves then went on a run of their own (7-2) to close the game and secure their victory.

‘I’m proud, we gutted it out,’ Pikiell said. ‘We were able to make free throws down the stretch, and pull out a victory.’

Notable players for the Seawolves were Ricky Lucas who tallied 12 points while grabbing 8 rebounds, and Mitchell Beauford who had a game high of 16 points, while shooting 6-11 from the field.

The Highlanders notable players were Nesho Milosevic, who had the game’s only double-double, as he scored 15 points, shooting 6-11 from the field, and grabbing 13 rebounds, while Justin Garris and Kraig Peters had 12 points each.

The Seawolves’ (2-7) next game is Wednesday, Dec. 12 when they will travel to play Long Island Rival Hofstra (1-4). Antoine Agudio who leads the nation in scoring, comes in averaging 27.6 points per game. Though their record may not show it, the Pride are a tough team, with their last three losses by an average of three points. Their last loss’ by a score of 73-71, came to Fordham (5-4); Fordham recently beat the NJIT Highlanders by a score of 88-44.

‘Hofstra is still Hofstra,’ Pikiell said about the upcoming match-up. ‘Their a great team, we’re playing on the road- it’s gonna be a battle.’