Men’s Swimming Excels in Final Meet

Fresh off of a double sweep at home against Iona and St. Francis and looking to improve upon a 5-5 record, the Stony Brook Men’s Swimming and Diving team took on the United States Merchant Marine Academy Mariners.

The men are heading into the New Year on a positive note after pounding the Mariners 137-101. The men took a commanding lead in the first six events, sweeping all of them, and the Seawolves never had to look back again.

The team put forth a strong performance on Saturday, with four Seawolves taking first place honors. Controlling the lead in the 500-yard freestyle for almost the entire race, freshman Nathan Fleshman, from Monroe, Mich., finished with a time of 4:58.67, good enough for a first place win. Not satisfied with just one win in an event, Fleshman showcased his dominant skills in the 1,000-yard freestyle. Fleshman took first with a time of 10:20.26.

Controlling the tempo of his own events was junior Raphael Labour, Jr., one of the three swimmers to sweep two events. Labour was at the fore of two events, the 100-yard backstroke (53.06) and the 50-yard freestyle (21.76). Adding to the path towards perfection for the boy’s was the freshman from Poland, Lukasz Ochmanski.

Following up his consummate effort against Iona and St. Francis, Ochmanski looked fresh and won two of his own events, the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard freestyle. Ochmanski’s times were 1:56.79 and 48.18, respectively, both times warranting first place finishes. For the most part Stony Brook cruised during this meet.

The Seawolves also took home their fourth and final two-event-sweep, this time coming from Julian Acevedo. The junior from Long Island City, New York, placed first in the one-meter dive with a score of 316.58 and again in the three-meter dive with a score of 264.83. The dominating night culminated in the 200-yard medley relay team finishing at 1:37.85, good enough for another first place finish. Chris Olwell from Floral Park, New York, claimed his own first place finish in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:48.83.

The men will return to action along with the Women’s Swim and Dive team in Easton, Penn. to take on the Lafayette Leopards and the Binghamton Bearcats on Jan. 16th at 2 O’clock.