SOLAR gets a makeover

On Dec. 11, the SOLAR System was given a makeover.

SOLAR still carries out the same tasks, however, the look is now completely different.

Some students, like freshman Roy Aguirre, were displeased with the new layout.

‘The new SOLAR is nowhere near the old one. It is really hard to navigate, and it just looks like Blackboard,’ Aguirre said. ‘I [don’t] think I like the new SOLAR.’

SOLAR now has an entirely new navigation style. For example, to register for classes students would have to click on a link in the left column in the old layout. Now, the link is provided in the main content area of the homepage.

Some students, on the other hand, were excited about the new design SOLAR has.

‘I love the design of [the] new SOLAR,’ said freshman Ferose Babu. ‘It is really easy to navigate [and] everything is in the place where it should be’hellip; [it’s] much easier to find what [you’re] looking for.’ Babu said, ‘To put [it] simply, [it’s] neater.’

While students thought differently about the change, the transition from the old SOLAR to the new one was seen as necessary. As such, the Division of Information Technology (DoIT) decided to make it happen.

‘It’s hard for some people to make the transition from old to new. It’s just human nature’hellip;some people just do not want to change what [they’re] used to. Some, on the other hand, want to try new things,’ said Kevin Eng, a freshman.

While students may or may not have trouble with the new SOLAR, DoIT has provided different tutorials on their website. Both video-recorded and written, these tutorials should help whichever user encounters problems with the new SOLAR.

What do you think of the new SOLAR System? Vote now in our new online poll at sbstatesman.com