The Stony Brook Hockey Experience

On Saturday night, the 10-1 dismantling of the Maryland Terrapins club hockey team occurred at the very aptly named Hidden Pond Park. Once inside the park, after a short drive on a narrow tree-lined road, the hidden treasure of Stony Brook Athletics put on a hockey clinic.

The Rinx, located in the park in the town of Islip, is a fine venue to host youth hockey and adult recreational leagues. The lobby is large and brightly lit, with a well-stocked pro shop and a concession stand located at the other end. Two full-sized rinks sit parallel to each other, with benches and penalty boxes on one side, and ‘stands’ on the other. These cold blocks of cement are raised just above the glass, offering a perfect view of the action.

People stood, lined up along the railing, about 75 percent of the way down the 200-foot surface. Among them, an official team photographer, an older couple sporting bright red Maryland sweatshirts, a few fathers with their young sons, and a suspended Maryland player.

Andrew DeVore, a freshman forward, was forced to watch the game among the Stony Brook faithful because of a suspension incurred after a fight the night before. During Maryland’s ‘big’ 5-4 win at Rutgers University, DeVore got involved in a fight. ‘It was an all right fight,’ he said. ‘Now I just gotta relax the rest of the weekend. ”

A sluggish first 10 minutes in the opening frame that saw SB dominate physically but not create a lot of scoring chances, opened up and saw SB finish the period with a 4-1 lead. The shots on goal were 19-5, and if not for spectacular saves by freshman goalie Grant Mitchell, SB would have been ever further in front. Kris Deckenback was denied on point blank chances twice in a 30-second span, and somehow the Terrapins were able to stay in the game.

During the first intermission two members of the security staff gathered at the skate rental window. Apparently Stony Brook hockey does not bring out their emotions. When asked how the crowds compare when SB is playing a home game, the guard responded, ‘It depends on the club,’ adding that sometimes other clubs bring fans with them, but otherwise the crowds were nothing special.

After an Angelo Serse goal ran the score to 5-1 and chased the Maryland goalie, the game turned physical. A minor scuffle ensued after a SB player was hit into the boards by the Maryland bench, and reached over to take a swipe at a Terrapin. The ref also missed a call on a hit from behind when a Maryland player was driven head first into the boards.

The referee, who was more interested in doing the Cotton Eyed Joe Dance and mugging for the non-existent camera, seemed to be paying less attention to the game than Matthew and Billy, two eight-year-olds attending the game with their dads. They were able to stand still for a minute to say, ‘It’s been a good game.’ They were also holding onto a souvenir puck, and said their favorite thing about the game was ‘getting the puck and screaming, ‘Go!” And with that they were off to the races again, showing about as much interest in the game as anyone on the ice not in a SB uniform.

When the final delayed buzzer sounded, and the scoreboard read 10-1, the SB players walked confidently off the ice and into their locker room, having to pass through the crowds of people milling around the lobby.

Ryan Hodkinson, who is in his first year with the team, said this team is run very much the same as his former team, NCAA Division I Clarkson. ‘It’s very comparable,’ Hodkinson said. ‘It’s run just the same.’

GM Chris Garofalo issued a ‘guarantee,’ saying that all he needed would be three years of full NCAA funding to take this team ‘through the roof.’

‘We have so much potential,’ he said. ‘If we can compete like this now, imagine what we could do as an NCAA team?’