A Homage to Donda West

Kanye West, an accomplished hip-hop superstar who hails from Chicago, was recently hit with devastating news about his mother, Donda West. She had succumbed to complications from an abdominoplasty or ‘tummy tuck’ and breast reduction procedure, that she underwent at the hands of Doctor Jan Adams, a plastic surgeon who has been plagued with numerous malpractice suits.

At the time of her death, Kanye was unaware that she was having plastic surgery procedures that day, and disapproved of the idea. This shocking death not only resulted in the loss of a mother for Kanye, but also the loss of a friend. He often confided in his mother who had been his number one supporter.

As a distinguished English professor, Donda always emphasized the importance of an education to her son. When he decided to drop out of college and pursue his music career full time, Donda was disappointed, but she never ceased in her undying support of Kanye and his endeavors.

The bond the two shared was special. Kanye openly spoke of the close relationship that he had with his mother. His confidence, or cockiness as some would describe, is something that was heavily influenced by Donda. She constantly told Kanye to believe in himself and his abilities and always encouraged him to strive for success. And so, under the guidance of Donda, Kanye has developed into the rapper/producer/writer that we see today.

When we remember Donda West, we shouldn’t simply think of her in relation to Kanye solely. We should instead remember that she was a mother, a daughter, a friend, a preacher, a scholar and a person whose life was cut tragically short.