Women’s Volleyball Takes Two Conference Wins

Volleyball Defeats New Hampshire Wildcats 3-2

The Seawolves traveled to Durham, New Hampshire to face the Wildcats on Friday, Oct. 12th. The Stony Brook Women’s Volleyball team won their away match with a score of 3-2. The scores of the sets were 30-32, 30-24, 27-30, 30-23, and 15-13. Seawolves improved to 15-7, and 3-1 in their conference while the Wildcats fell to 13-7 and 2-3.

Jackie Ahlers had another magnificent performance, registering a match-high of 23 kills. Junior Noelle Bay added a match high 26 digs, while senior Morgan Sweany registered a double-double (19 kills and 24 digs).

The opening game was close all the way as neither team held a lead of more than four points. Towards the end, the Wildcats led 29-27, but the Seawolves came back and took their own lead with Ahler’s kills and a New Hampshire attack error. Stony Brook went up 30-29 before the Wildcats scored three straight points to take Game One 32-30.

Stony Brook was ahead most of Game Two, and never allowed New Hampshire to get any closer than six points. They finished off the Wildcats with a 30-24 victory.

Game Three was close most of the way. The Seawolves took a 26-25 lead on a kill from Ahlers, but the Wildcats scored five of the last six points of the match to take the game and a 2-1 lead.

With their backs against the wall, the Seawolves turned it around Game Four. Ahlers recorded two more kills, breaking a 20-20 tie by scoring six of seven points off. Stony Brook then closed the game out on a kill from senior Amy Oleksiej to send the team into a crucial fifth game.

Stony Brook quickly took a 6-3 lead in the fifth game, forcing a Wildcat timeout after repeated kills from Ahlers. New Hampshire came back to tie the game at 11, but the Seawolves got a kill from Oleksiej that put them ahead for the remainder of the match.

Seawolves Sweep Maine Black Bears

On Sunday Oct. 14th, the Seawolves traveled to Maine and defeated the Black Bears 3-0. For its fourth victory in a row, Sweany and Ahlers each recorded a match high of 13 kills each. Stony Brook won the three games with scores of 30-24, 30-16, and 30-18.

Ahlers contributed to another remarkable win was and her season-high attack percentage of .706 for the Seawolves (who also recorded a team season-best in attack percentage of .398). Bay led Stony Brook with a match-best 11 digs.

The Seawolves climbed to 16-7 overall in and 4-1 in the America East standings while the Black Bears fell to 2-17 and 1-5. The Seawolves are having an excellent season thus far. The team will return October 21st to play Hartford, all before continuing the season to play their rivalry team, the Albany Great Danes on October 26th.