Stony Brook Women’s Rugby Club: The Black Widows

Despite a disappointing season last year, the Stony Brook Women’s Rugby Club is performing exceptionally well this season. The team is 3-0-1 and stands as the top team in their division. Last Sunday, Oct. 7, the Widows won against Sacred Heart University 81-5.

‘We knew going into the Sacred Heart game that there was a lot of pressure for us to win so we could maintain our position at the top. Fortunately, all of our girls played with a lot of heart, which helped us to stay number one.’ Kay Maikoksoong, Captain.

The Widows hope to keep up their almost perfect season with two games left in the season, one away at Hofstra and the other home, against Drew University.

The team has worked extremely hard to get where they are today. Just a few years ago the team started with six girls, but now has over 20 players on the roster.

‘We’ve come a long way since last year. We put more points on the board this season than the last 3 seasons combined. As always we have open tryouts and we encourage the best athletes on campus to step up,’ stated Coach Ali Nazir.

The Widows last home game will be Sunday, Oct. 21, against Drew University. It’s a rugby homecoming! The game is going to be played at the Recreational Fields. They hope to see a lot of support from the student body.