Football Preview

Although the Stony Brook (SB) football team has dropped their last two games to regional rivals Hofstra and Albany, the team still stands at 3-3, an improvement from last season’s 2-4 start. The first lose of the season was against #13 nationally ranked Youngstown State, 42-6.

SB plays three of its remaining five games at home, including matches against Maine, Bryant, and CCSU. The team will travel to Richmond to play the #20 nationally ranked Spiders, and to Elon, North Carolina for the final game of the season against the Elon Phoenix.

SB’s next opponent, Richmond, is 3-2 on the year but still thought highly on the national scene. They have outscored their opponents 177-130 in their five games. Starting Halfback Tim Hightower, a Third Team All-Atlantic 10 last season, ranks second in the nation with 180.4 rush yards per game. His 8.59 yards per rush are tops among backs with 100 carries.

SB Senior quarterback Josh Dudash has led the offense, throwing 12 touchdowns and only seven interceptions, while completing 56.9% of his passes. He is averaging 213.8 yards per game. His 124.6 efficiency rating ranks him 48th in the country.

Junior wide receivers Lynell Suggs and Dwayne Eley have been Dudash’s favorite targets. Suggs leads the team with 46 receptions, 649 yards, and is seventh in the nation with 108.2 yards per game. His three touchdown catches are one less than Eley’s four. Eley has 34 receptions for 395 yards on the season.

Running backs Conte Cuttino and Brandon Mason have shared the load on the ground. Cuttino has carried the ball 107 times for 594 yards and two touchdowns, while Mason has 72 carries for 334 yards, with three touchdowns.

Junior defensive lineman Adam Soivilien leads the team on defense with 48 total tackles and 2 sacks. Defensive back Mike McCoy’s two interceptions, both against Hofstra, lead the Seawolves.

SB welcomes Maine to LaValle stadium on Oct. 20 for homecoming. The game is scheduled to kickoff at 3:00 PM.