Night at the IMAX

‘Night at the Museum’ was released Dec. 17, 2006, made over $42 million, and is still playing in theaters, specifically the IMAX Dome at the Cradle of Aviation Museum. Except for the fifth Harry Potter film, it is the only non-science movie that has played on their screen.

The Natural Museum of History in NYC is one of the best in the world and is host to countless visitors’ every’ year. It has been featured in over a dozen films, TV shows, and music videos. It is most recognized for its dioramas, the squid and the whale, the totem poles, and especially the T-Rex in the lobby.’

‘Night at the Museum’ is a kid’s fantasy imagining what happens at night in a museum when the people are gone and the doors are locked.’ Because of a curse, everything wakes up at night and returns to’ its positions at sunrise.

The T-Rex plays fetch. President Teddy Roosevelt stares at Sacagawea. Figurine-sized Jedediah Smith battles the Roman emperor Octavius. Other characters include Attila the Hun, Christopher Columbus, Lewis and Clark, the Vikings, and Neanderthals.

‘Night at the Museum’ has a great ensemble cast. Ben Stiller as Larry, the new security guard hired by three retiring guards, played by Dick van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, and Bill Cobbs. Owen Wilson as Jedediah Smith. And Robin Williams as Teddy Roosevelt, without his usual annoying antics.

Other actors include Paul Rudd, and Brad Garrett as the Easter Island Head voice. There are many references to the actors’ previous works like ‘Mary Poppins,’ ‘Dodgeball,’ and ‘Aladdin.’

The dialogue between Larry and his son can be sappy, but it strengthens the tone’s innocence. Much of the film’s humor is slapstick ‘- for example, Larry fighting with a monkey to get back his keys until they slap each other’s cheeks sore.

Every kid movie needs a villain to despise.’ In this case, it is the three old guards who want to steal the museum’s treasure to get back their physical youth; though their behavior is already childish.

‘Night at the Museum’ has the longest running theatrical screening of the year and should not be missed on IMAX while the opportunity is still available. The film’s sequel is expected for 2009, entitled ‘Another Night.’