Women’s Soccer Ties Hartford, Overcomes Vermont

Stony Brook and Hartford Play to Stalemate, Tie 0-0

For the fifth consecutive game, sophomore Marisa Viola shutdown the opposing team’s offense and extended her scoreless streak to over 561 minutes. The Stony Brook women’s soccer team squared off against Hartford this past Thursday evening playing to another 0-0 tie. This was the fourth time in their last five games that the Seawolves battled their opponent to such a score.

Viola demonstrated why she is the current two-time defending America East Player of the Week by recording seven saves throughout the evening. However, the biggest save of the night may have been made by Seawolves’ senior, Krista Shilts.

In the 33rd minute, Hartford‘s forward, Mary Beth Hamilton, drove the ball down the pitch and put a shot over Viola’s head that nearly crossed the goal line. Shilts was in the right position to clear the ball away just before it became a goal, and thus conserved the scoreless streak and the tie for Stony Brook.

The Seawolves’ defense was tested early and often during the first half, as the Hartford Hawks out-shot them 11-1. After the Seawolves regrouped during the half time intermission, they came out much more aggressive and put all five of their second half shots on the Hartford goal. Despite the Seawolves’ effort, Hartford‘s keeper, Elizabeth Cook, halted every offensive attack the Seawolves could muster, keeping the Hawks in the game.

The second overtime saw Stony Brook’s best chance to break the scoreless tie turned aside. The Seawolves lobbed a pass over the head’s of the Hawks defense that was chased down and controlled by senior Aria Tania. Hawk’s Goalkeeper Cook was out of position when she attempted to beat Tania to the ball. When the Seawolves forward tracked it down first, she chipped the ball over Cook’s head the goal. A Hawks defender sprinted to the goal line and barely knocked the ball away, cementing the tie.

Seawolves Drop Vermont 1-0

Sunday, Oct. 7th saw the Seawolves take on Vermont in a last minute 1-0 victory. Brooke Barbuto scored the lone goal at the 78:02 mark, giving the Seawolves their second America East Conference win in three games. Goalkeeper Marisa Viola recorded her sixth straight shutout. Their record after this weeks tie and win is now 5-2-4 overall and 2-0-1 in conference play.

The Seawolves will host New Hampshire this Thursday, Oct. 14, followed by another home game against Albany on Sunday, Oct. 14.