Bus System Inconsistent

On campus, it seems as though students are divided in their opinion of the bus transportation system at Stony Brook.

Many students praised the service stating, ‘The inner loop buses are frequent’hellip;and I live in West [apartments] so they are reliable,’ and ‘the bus drivers are really nice and they’ll wait for you if they see you coming.’

However, just as many were critical of the system: ‘Some of the drivers look like they hate their job’hellip; like we’re an annoyance,’ stated Sarah, a sophomore.

Another student who was rushing to his bus said, ‘They don’t wait on you, if no one is there in thirty seconds, they leave.’

These mixed responses serve to highlight one noticeable detail about the bus system: it is inconsistent. This is validated’ by the findings based on five days of observation of the buses that stop at the Student Activities Center loop, the Union and Tabler Quad.

On average, the Inner Loop buses came around every 10 minutes, upholding the bus service’s posted frequency for these buses. However, these times ranged from one to 20 minutes. In addition, some Inner Loop buses waited up to seven minutes for passengers, while others left as soon as they made their drop-off.

Similarly, the outer loop buses had an average frequency of 11 minutes, well within the 18-minute frequency posted by the school. Again, the frequency range was two to 15 minutes. Some buses did not wait, while others waited up to 10 minutes.

The Express buses were the most frequent, with times ranging from zero to eight minutes. Eight minutes is the frequency posted by the school. Information on the Hospital and Railroad route buses could not be posted due to an insufficient number of observations.

Despite the differences in views on the bus system, most students felt that it ‘could do much better.’ One student wished, ‘there were more flexible schedules,’ while another hoped that during the winter and summer breaks the buses would be more frequent. Others wished for more buses in general.

While these changes may or may not take place, it seems as though the bus system is doing ‘okay’, as one student put it.

‘Although it’s not world-class service, it’s acceptable,’ he said, ‘If they improve, awesome, but right now they’re alright.’