Women’s Soccer Ties Manhattan, Routs UMBC 3-0

Seawolves Tie Manhattan 0-0 (2OT)

During the Seawolves’ game against Manhattan on September 26, their last line of defense saved two point blank shots taken by Manhattan‘s striker, Courtney McMahon. Seawolves’ goalkeeper Marisa Viola made two huge saves — one at the end of regulation and one at the end of the first overtime to preserve the 0-0 tie. Viola ended the contest with 11 saves on the 19 Manhattan shots.

The Seawolves’ best scoring opportunity came with only a minute left in regulation when sophomore Marissa Shibley missed a shot just wide of the Manhattan net from about 18 yards out. The shot was one of 20 shots taken by the Stony Brook squad, 11 of which were saved by the Manhattan keeper Alicia DeFino.

Seawolves Knock Out UMBC 3-0

The Stony Brook’ women’s soccer team had just finished their seventh straight half of scoreless soccer when they left the field for halftime in last Sunday’s game against the squad from UMBC. After recording 0-0 ties in each of their last three games, the Seawolves emerged from the locker room ready to end the scoring drought.

In an explosive second half, the Seawolves recorded three goals in route to a 3-0 victory. Junior Brooke Barbuto, freshman Danielle Tenaglia, and senior Tiffany Fasullo each netted second-half goals, while sophomore goalkeeper Marisa Viola extended her scoreless streak to 451:47. The win improved the Seawolves’ record to 4-2-3, while the loss dropped UMBC to 1-7-2 on the season.

Barely a minute into the second half, Barbuto scored the eventual game-winning goal. She received a pass from junior Trine Allenberg at the top of the 18-yard box and sent the ball sailing past the lunging UMBC goalkeeper, Catie Bukowski, and into the upper right corner of the net.

In the 60th minute SB tallied their second score of the half as Tenaglia controlled the ball off of an Allenberg corner kick and fired it into the opposition’s net.

The Seawolves received a final insurance goal in the 78th minute as Fasullo netted a shot from the left side off of the 18-yard box.

SB goalkeeper Marisa Viola held the opposition scoreless for the fourth consecutive game. Despite only having to make one save on five UMBC shots, her combined efforts against UMBC and Manhattan earlier in the week earned her the America East Player of the Week honor for the second straight week.

Viola and the Seawolves will be putting their four and a half game scoreless streak on the line when they return to action this Thursday, October 4th, to take on Hartford.