USG Resolution Adopted to Prevent Identity Fraud

‘ On May 24, 2007, the Senate of the Undergraduate Student government adopted a resolution regarding the release of over 89,000 names, social security numbers and university ID information on the Health Sciences Center library website. The leak puts 89,853 members of the Stony Brook University community vulnerable to potential identity fraud.
    The leak occurred last April on the 11th, when the library’s website was being reconfigured. The information was accessible to anyone on Google.com until the 24th and those whose names were listed were not notified until May 7th.
    ‘ The USG Senate expresses its anger toward the security leak and feels that the University’s attempts to repair the’ damage have been inadequate. According to the resolution, ‘the only recourse the University is offering persons affected by the gross mishandling of their private information is contact information for three credit-monitoring services that provide only 90 days of free fraud monitoring.’
    ‘ In the resolution, the Senate lists several demands that it believes should be taken to manage the situation better. These include providing a more reasonable compensation including ‘no less than one year of free credit monitoring,’ taking the precautions to prevent similar problems in the future, and that ‘the University admit its failure to notify person affected by their actions with reasonable speed and apologize for said failure.’
    ‘ When asked whether or not he felt the University had taken any steps towards admitting to the mistake or apologizing, USG President Joe Antonelli replies, ‘Nothing sufficient.’
    According to Antonelli, while he cannot speak for the USG Senate on why it was important to adopt this resolution he does state, ‘We are the Undergraduate Student Government, we’re here to represent the Undergraduate students.’