SB Remembers 9/11

Stony Brook University marked the six-year anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks with a Memorial Commemoration Ceremony on Tuesday, sponsored by the Interfaith Center.

Rabbi Joseph S. Topek, director and Jewish chaplain from the Hillel Foundation for Jewish Life, opened the ceremony with a call for the Stony Brook community to remember this day when ‘our nation was attacked and fellow Americans perished,’ and to ‘grieve and mourn our losses together.’

The crowd present joined Emily Logan in singing the National Anthem after the University Police Color Guard and members of the Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corp. posted the colors.

A memorial candle was lit by students who represented six major religions found on SBU campus – Daniel Hanson of the Hillel Foundation, Munzareen Padela from the Muslim Students Association, Michael Chang of the Baptist Church Ministries, Jason Shank from the Catholic Church Ministries, Dipti Sharma of the Hindu Students Association and Sharmaine Cole of the Protestant Church Ministries.

Prayers from the various chaplains comprising the Interfaith Center were offered. Rabbi Topek prayed for lost loved ones; Sister Margaret Ann Landry of the Catholic Chaplain offered a prayer on behalf of the grieving families of the lost; Ambassador Harish Basim for the Hindu community read a prayer for rescue and recover workers; Reverend David Chen of the Baptist Chaplain prayed for world leaders; Brother Yasser Rad of MSA offered a prayer for world peace; a reverend from the Protestant Chaplain offered a prayer for the future of humanity.

‘Stony Brook is a haven from evil. Here we know others for who they are and understand culture and deal with prejudice. Here we depend on each other and can only succeed by working together,’ President Kenny said. ‘We owe it to lost ones, their family and future generations to say ‘enough madness and cruelty,” she implored the audience.

A memorial bell dedicated by the Undergraduate Student Government was tolled individually as the names of the 21 alumni lost during the 9/11 attacks were read aloud. Student ambassadors placed a small bouquet of white flowers on the stage edge for each of the 21 alumni lost.

The names of faculty, staff, family members and rescue workers from the Stony Brook community who were lost were also read as the bell was tolled in their remembrance.

To close the convocation, faculty and staff members presented a memorial wreath dedicated the lives of those lost.

‘It’s very inspirational that so much of the Stony Brook community wanted to remember this time even after six years,’ Sister Margaret Ann Landry said after the memorial. ‘We keep alive the theme of ‘We shall never forget!”

Originally planned as an outdoor event to be held at the Alumni Memorial Arch between the Humanities and Psychology A buildings and at the SAC loop’s memorial tree garden, the Commemoration Ceremony was moved indoors due to inclement weather conditions.