3:10 to Yuma

The American Western film genre goes back over 50 years. Its height was almost that long ago, too. Today, most movies are of the horror, sex-comedy, and drama genres. ‘ ‘3:10 To Yuma’ may have come at the right time to give us a break from this year’s formulas; taking us back to the formula of yesteryear, with a 21st century style. This movie also marks the arrival of the predominantly mature film season that will last until Oscar voting is closed.

Christian Bale has a reputation for versatility and excellent performance. His filmography ranges from 1992’s ‘Newsies’ to 2005’s hit ‘Batman Begins.” His latest character, Dan Evans, is a moral farmer pressured to give up his property to the South Pacific Rail Road Company.’ Bale’s talent is proven once again by making Dan an unlikely optimist even while facing hardship.’ Russell Crowe has also played an array of characters, most notably his roles in ‘Gladiator’ and ‘A Beautiful Mind.’Ben Wade is considered the product of his environment.’ A boy that read his Bible but was too soon forced to learn survival skills. Crowe gave Ben a charming sympathy with bad boy edge.

As Dan and his two sons try to round up their cattle, fate intervenes and sets him up for what could save his farm. Dan witnesses from a distance the notorious Ben Wade and his animalistic crew successfully capture a railroad company payroll carriage. Ben’s lack of mercy is set in this scene so the audience remembers he is not to be trusted. To ensure keeping his land, Dan volunteers to go along with four other men who must escort him to Contention, where he will take a train to Yuma for sentencing. But Ben’s followers will do what they must to save their boss from death.

Second in command of Ben’s group is Charlie Prince, a man who proves to be more dangerous and damaged than Ben ever could simply for having shown no emotion. Having been tricked with a gullible red herring, his mission to save Ben becomes that more compulsory. Ben Foster is an ex-child actor who never had to shake off a stigma — he too having taken different roles. And now, what could be more grown up then a loyal gun? He’s always had talent and it is just now being redirected to better roles. Age can be a good thing for a career.

As Ben Wade is matched against Dan, Charlie is matched against Dan’s eldest son Will. Will is a somewhat resentful young man because he is not yet in the position to prove his worth. Ben’s entrance into Will’s life provides this awaited opportunity. When one man is unable to continue escorting Ben, Will steps in and stays true to the end. Played by Logan Lerman, he has already worked with Mel Gibson twice and had his own WB series, ‘Jack and Bobby.” Peter Fonda, Luke Wilson, Gretchen Mol, and Alan Tudyk portray other supporting characters with utmost professionalism.

‘3:10 To Yuma’ is a real good movie and may just be one of the best remakes to exist.’ I assure you that many people will enjoy this film.’ Old West society is presented with the complexity of law and order versus specific circumstance, and a slight modern interpretation of what language, behavior, and sights may have existed.’ The movie even acknowledges America‘s current transportation problems; a little nod and smile to its audience.’ Stony Brook station patrons would find it especially entertaining.’ It would be ideal to finish this film by 6:00 PM so that you too can walk into the sunset.