A Fashionable Marriage of Summer and Fall

The summer months of July and August flew by in a whirlwind of tank tops and sunblock, poolside parties and sunny beach days. The faint melody of the ice cream man and the chirps of crickets will soon be silenced by my favorite season – fall, of course.

September is my preferred month for a few reasons. First, because the weather is gorgeous – not too chilly, but not sweltering hot so that there is a lot of fashion flexibility. Secondly, my birthday falls on the first day of autumn – I am literally born to love this season. Lastly – perhaps most importantly – Mercedes Benz fashion week, along with fashion weeks all over the globe, takes place in September. The next few weeks not only signify the start of the fall semester, but present the fashion trends for 2008.

In the meantime, let us live – and dress – for today. It is September, and we are just weeks away from autumn. It is a very special time of year to make use of our signature pieces and basics from the summer, as long as we alter them slightly for the fall. Everyone’s favorite footwear for the past several months has been the flat – ballet flats, slippers, boat shoes, you name it. Pair your favorite flats with leggings or cropped light-colored jeans for the fall. It is still warm enough to expose your feet to the elements and the longer length pants (as opposed to summer shorts or skirts) will keep you comfortable when the autumn breeze blows.

Dresses are always a summer staple because they are comfortable and easy, yet still feminine and neat. Dresses that you have worn this summer in basic cotton blends can be worn over a solid legging or a well-fitting jean. Shorter, straighter dresses are especially perfect for this because they will act as a longer-length shirt. Another option for some sleeveless dresses is to layer. For any dresses that have basic, square necklines and thicker straps, pair with a dark colored basic long sleeve t-shirt to create a 60’s mod look. However, some dresses will not be flattered by layering. Make sure your look is not sloppy or frumpy – the last thing you want to do is ruin your favorite dress.

For the very early days of September, don’t feel shy about sporting your good old summer shorts. Don’t throw on your Daisy Dukes and camisole for class – not an appropriate choice for the learning environment. Perhaps, choose a pair of khaki or black shorts and pair them with a thin, comfortable, three quarter length shirt. You’ll be a sweet combination of summer and early fall. Once again, do be sure your shorts are in good taste. There is nothing worse than a summer has-been in too short shorts!

Fall is really all about dressing appropriately and transitioning smoothly into the very fashion-definitive months of November and December. Try to make use of some of the pieces you already have, but don’t be frugal about picking up more fall-friendly pieces.

Best of luck for your fall semester!