Stony Brook’s Athletes of the Year

Before school finally let out for the summer, Stony Brook announced its Student Athletes of the Year, honoring Josh Dudash, Mykeema Ford, and Kaitlin Leggio. Ford and Leggio shared the honor as Co-Female Athletes of the Year.

Senior Mykeema Ford captained the Women’s basketball team as its starting point guard. Over her career, she was named to the America East All Conference team three years in a row. Her 2006-2007 campaign saw her average over 19 points a game along with 3.6 rebounds and 3.9 assists. For leading SBU to a 14-2 conference record and the number two seed in the conference, she was also named the America East Player of the Year.

Josh Dudash made his mark as the quarterback for the up-and-coming Seawolves football program. Last season Dudash passed for 15 touchdowns with only four interceptions, and was an efficient and accurate passer, completing over 62 percent of his passes. The senior helped pull the team out of early season slump to finish 3-4-1 in conference, and 6-12-1 overall. With several new additions to the squad, Dudash will try to lead the Seawolves in their first season after leaving the Northeast conference.

Sophomore Kaitlin Leggio led both the Women’s lacrosse team and the America East conference in points (4.25) and assists (2.06) per game. Leggio was selected to the America East First Team after tallying 35 goals and 36 assists. As the reigning America East Rookie of the Year, she helped the Seawolves to a 13-4 record overall and 1st place in the conference. Leggio is just the fourth player in league history to earn both Rookie of the Year and Player of the Year awards in their career.

With both Dudash and Leggio returning, the Seawolves athletic program has a chance to improve on last season’s successes.