Prospects for 07-08 Women’s Basketball

Stony Brook, NY- Losing four starters next season, the Stony Brook (SBU) Seawolves will have a tough time remaining a top team in the America East Conference. This season the Seawolves finished second in their conference with an 18-10 regular season record and 13-2 in their conference, but loses seven players to graduation. This years graduating class included the team’s top four scorers and four of their top five rebounders.

‘We’ll be a young team,’ said head coach Maura McHugh. ‘In college a team it’s always a work in progress. We’ll just need a different way of doing things.’

Coach McHugh referred to changes in the offense as the team loses America East Player of the Year Mykeema Ford along with All-Conference selection Jessica Smith. The duo combined for 35.9 points and 11.2 rebounds per game as the two Seawolves to average double figures.

The team returns Dana Ferraro along with several other talents that played limited minutes this season. ‘It’s a rebuilding situation but we’ll still be talented. We just need to make adjustments, work hard and step it up.’

Mentioned in a release by the SBU Athletic Department, the Seawolves have thus far signed four players to join the team. Two more recruits are in the process of being signed.