Re: Our Trust is Very Expensive

This is in response to your April 23 editorial, ‘Our Trust is Very Expensive,’ which brings up the idea of an ‘effective check-and-blance system.’

Isn’t that the responsibility of the USG Executive Director? Not having access to the job description, I am under the belief that the role of the USG Executive Director was to ensure that the student government operates within its known rules and regulations.

Unfortunately, in the past, when the Executive Director has tried to enforce these rules and to prevent the abuses that have occurred this semester, they have been fired, (in the case of Sonia Guttman). How often has her replacement, Eunice Ro, been to senate meetings? Has she sat in on the Budget Committee hearing to ensure the fair distribution of the USG Budget, based on need and not cliques? Does she have the background to oversee the financial records of USG? Is she even supervising the USG Executive staff to make sure abuses don’t occur?

Based on the record of the Jean-Baptiste government, apparently not. As you noted, we cannot expect students to keep tabs on their fellow student, that is the purpose of the Executive Director. So far, Ms. Ro has failed not only the Senate, but the students of Stony Brook. I hope that the newly elected government will review the role of Executive Director and make any changes necessary to regain the trust of the students.

A Concerned Student