Faculty Profile: Dr. Giuseppe Costa

Dr. Giuseppe Costa has a lot to be proud of. He is a well respected and well-adored faculty member in the Department of European Languages here at Stony Brook.

Dr. Giuseppe Costa graduated from the University of Naples in 2000, with a degree in Sociology. He then won a scholarship toward his Doctorate of Italian Language here, at SBU. He completed his doctorate with his final dissertation in Italian Mafia and Media and is now a lecturer in Italian. When asked about his thoughts on being an Italian educator here, he responded, ‘I believe in teaching, and that learning is the only way we can thank God for His beautiful gift to us, life. Every night I think of what I’ve learned that day, and it makes me feel better about myself.’

Although adults at this point are usually past the much-debated, biologically critical period for language acquisition, second language programs can benefit from awareness of the factors that both help and hinder adult language learning. Dr. Costa, with the patience of a saint, has worked out a system which could benefit any student who is takes one of his classes and is up to the challenge.

Fun and charismatic in many ways, there is more to Dr. Costa than his affiliation and appreciation for the Italian Language. For starters, many people do not know that he is an enthusiastic cinema-buff, a connoisseur of music, and an avid soccer fan, although we could have guessed about him being a soccer fan. He is, in any case, Italian. Of course, anyone who has taken one of Dr. Costa’s classes has at one point or another endured the rants of stemming pride from the Italian victory in the 2006 World Cup.

Recently, Dr. Costa had participated in the Doctoral Specialization in Italian, of the Ph.D. Program in Comparative Literature at the City University of New York, for the Italian Graduate Student Conference titled Beyond the Page: Performing Italian Literature. He lectured students, faculty, and distinguished colleagues from various regions, all jammed-packed into a small room. The topic, cunningly labeled Storia and fiction Nel Nome della Rosa (History and Fiction in the Name of the Rose), was received with overwhelming acclaim.

Dr. Giuseppe Costa’s respectfulness of others and pure love of language and life has gained him admiration and reverence from everyone who has had the opportunity to meet with him face-to-face. Grazie Dr. Costa per tutto e in boca al lupo.