Women’s Lacrosse Overpowers UAlbany

Stony Brook, NY- In what has been already been a stellar season for the women’s lacrosse team, the Seawolves continued their consistent and focused play in a 17-13 win over UAlbany. Saturday’s match-up concluded Stony Brook’s home schedule for the 2007 season with two more games to be played out on the road.

Streaky offense was the deciding factor in this match, with both SB and UAlbany combining for 10 goals in the final stages of the second half. At the 19:25 mark Kaitlin Leggio scored off a free position shot to bring the Seawolves to an 11-9 lead. UAlbany responded with a four goal run paced by a Kate Fontana hatrick. The burst gave the visitors a 13-11 lead with only 6:08 remaining.

Then the floodgates opened. Kaitlin Leggio returned the favor with back-to-back goals, sparking a six nothing run by Seawolves in the match’s closing minutes. The out burst included three straight goals by Diana Caroleo and an Amy Hallion score.

In a post game press conference Seawolf head coach Allison Comito stated ‘I was very pleased to see our girls come together at the end to pull out a victory.’ She continued that her team showed ‘poise down the stretch and that is encouraging to see.’

Stony Brook’s offense was the main story of the night, with Senior Carlee Buck, Junior Diana Caroleo and Sophomores Jenna Celano and Kaitlin Leggio each scoring 3 goals. Seawolf goalkeeper Jen Sandtorv recorded 13 saves, adding to her conference leading save percentage and goals-against average of .528 and 9.9 goals, respectively. UAlbany had Christine Grueniger and Kate Fontana score four goals each in their losing effort. UAlbanys record now falls to 6-8 overall and 2-3 in the America East conference.

Stony Brook’s win brings their record to 12-2 overall and 4-1 in conference play. The team trails Boston University by only half a game for first place in the America East Conference. BU leads the conference with a 5-1 record but SB still has a conference game remaining, this Saturday against the Vermont Catamounts.

Should the Seawolves win in their season finale against the Catamounts, they will host the America East tournament because they hold the tie breaker against BU. Stony Brook is in action this afternoon when they visit nearby Hofstra. The game starts at 4:00PM.