Women’s Lacrosse Tops Wagner

Staten Island, NY- Bouncing back from a hard fought loss to UMBC last week, the Seawolves got back on track with a 15-10 triumph over Wagner on Tuesday, April 17th. Paced by Senior Carlee Buck’s eight points, the game was basically decided by two pivotal runs in the first half that gave Wagner little hope for a win.

Opening with Buck’s unassisted goal, only a minute into the game, the Seawolves saw Senior, Amy Taylor and Sophomores, Kaitlin Leggio and Jenna Celano, all score for an early 4-0 run. Wagner would respond with two goals at the 24:54 and 21:26 marks, but would see their efforts soon erased by another two SB scores. SB and Wagner would then exchange goals over the next 8 minutes until Wagner’s deficit was only 8-6. Wagner’s Jessica Richmond would net back to back goals to bring them within two, but SB would then rattle off their second four goal run. The Seawolves run helped them close out the half with an imposing 12-6 lead.

Leading scorers for SB were Buck with four goals and four assists, improving on her America East Conference leading 2.3 assists a game. Leggio scored four goals and assisted twice, while Diana Caroleo notched two goals and two assists. Several other players boosted the Seawolves’ attack and the defense held the Wagner Seahawks to 29 shots. Wagner saw Richmond rack up four goals, along with Teri Noll’s two goal, one assist and Kelly Blundin’s one goal and two assist efforts.

The win brought the Seawolves, who lead the America East conference heading into the final stretch of the season, record to 11-2. Wagner, who continues to struggle this season, dropped to 2-11.

The second half saw the blistering scoring cool off, as the Seawolves registered only three goals. Wagner would net four goals of their own, but would be unable to crack SB goalkeeper Jen Sandtorv to make it a game once again.

The Seawolves play host to Albany this Saturday at the LaValle stadium. Face off is at 4:00 PM.